“One of my favorite childhood memories is the delicious smell of my mother’s banana bread as it baked. I’ve made a few minor changes to my mom’s original recipe, and I hope your family likes it as much as mine does.”
-Jane Reinhardt-Martin, RD, LD.
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking power
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium or 2 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In large bowl, mix flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- In food processor or bowl, mash bananas. Then add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and mix in well together.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chopped nuts.
- Coat 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour batter in loaf pan. Bake for about 50-55 minutes until dark brown, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for at least 10-15 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 50-55 minutes
Yield: 16 slices
Recipe used with permission from The Amazing Flax Cookbook by Jane Reinhardt-Martin RD,LD