Recipe as seen on TV’s “What’s Cookin” with Lyn Nichols.
For many of us, chicken soup is the ultimate comfort food. Served before the entree at dinner or as a companion course with a sandwich at lunch, there’s nothing better. And what a great way to use the leftovers from last night’s roast chicken!
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken meat
- 1 rib celery, trimmed and diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup Barilla Plus Penne noodles or your favorite pasta
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted flaxseed
- In a stockpot, combine broth, chicken, celery, and onion. Bring to a full rolling boil.
- Add noodles. Cook uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes after water returns to a boil.
- In the final few minutes of cooking, add black pepper as desired.
- Ladle out into individual bowls, garnished with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and toasted flaxseed.
- Toast whole flaxseed in a small flat pan, with a long handle. Cover securely. Hold pan over high heat, shaking vigorously to keep the seeds from burning. You will hear the flaxseed start to pop. As soon as the popping stops, remove the pan from the heat and remove the cover. It only takes a few minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 cups