- 1 whole chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In large sauce pan, place chicken, broth, onion, celery, bay leaf, and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hour.
- Remove chicken from stock. Pull chicken off of bone, discarding bone and skin.
- Strain the liquid and skim fat off top of liquid.
- In a bowl, make a slurry with water and flour, using a fork.
- Stir into broth. Heat mixture until it boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add mixed vegetables, chicken, and flax back into mixture.
- Place mixture into 4 individual baking dishes (coated with non-stick spray).
- Cut pie crust into 4 pieces and roll into desired shape, top baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F till golden brown, approximately 30-40 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Recipe used with permission from Flax Your Way to Better Health by Jane Reinhardt-Martin RD,LD