- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, (or walnuts) finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine quick oats, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and flour.
- Add melted butter/margarine; mix together.
- Combine dry ingredients, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together canola oil and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to egg mixture, whisk until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients, stir until dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
- Add berries, gently fold into batter, do not over mix.
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Fill each muffin cup with cup of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and cool to room temperature.
Yield: 12 muffins
Flax content: 5.8 grams per serving
This recipe is courtesy of The Flax Council of Canada, our friends to the North.