Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40-50 minutes
Yield: 18 bars
- 3 cups raw carrots, grated
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup pineapple, water packed, crushed, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup seedless raisins, not packed
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground Golden Valley Flax
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine carrots, sugars, raisins, canola oil, applesauce, pineapple, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, Golden Valley Flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend well.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Coat 9×13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour batter in pan. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Frost if desired with cream cheese frosting.
- Nuts can be omitted from the cake and use in or on top of the frosting.
Recipe may be found in The Amazing Flax Cookbook by Jane Reinhardt-Martin, RD,LD